The preliminary dataset for the 2022-23 AAUP Faculty Compensation Survey is available to order now. Customers who order the 2022-23 dataset will receive the preliminary dataset, which includes data submitted through March 29, 2023, and will receive access to the final dataset when it is released in July 2023.
Note: Effective April 1, 2023 prices have increased $250. Data products cost $1,500 for participating institutions and $2,250 for nonparticipating institutions. Data products for a previous year (2015-16 through 2021-22) cost is $1000 for each year.
Before completing the order form, please note our policies on purchasing access to the Faculty Compensation Survey data:
- AAUP chapter leaders, AAUP state conference officers, and AFT local presidents can request data access free of charge for their business purposes. A chapter leader, state conference officer, or local president should complete the FCS data order form and be sure to specify the name of the organization and the person’s role in organization. We do not freely provide third-party access or generate reports for institutions through the request of a chapter that are not for chapter business.
- Institutional research offices and human resource offices should purchase access to the data or reports that are for institutional use.
- We do not sell data or FCS Results Portal access to those without a higher education institutional, governmental, or nonprofit affiliation.
- We do not provide the complete data set (i.e., the Excel files) or FCS Results Portal access to students for course projects. The publicly available reports provide access to the data for course projects.
- Faculty members, graduate students, or academic staff who have an established research area in higher education labor issues, on a case-by-case basis, may be allowed access to FCS data for noncommercial research purposes without charge if they are AAUP members with a research interest demonstrated by past research activity and area of expertise.
The 2022-23 AAUP Faculty Compensation Survey data costs $1,500 for participating institutions and $2,250 for nonparticipating institutions and includes the products listed below. These prices are all inclusive, so one or all of the products may be requested for one flat cost. Payment can be made by credit card, check, or purchase order. Data will be released once the payment has been received, if applicable. Orders for current data (2022-23) may be made here:
Once we have received your order, the AAUP Research Office will generate an invoice and provide payment instructions, if applicable. We will typically respond to your order request in 1-2 business days, but please see here for current availability (there may be weeks, especially during the summer, when turnaround will be longer).
Appendices I, II, and III: An MS-Excel file is provided with workbooks containing the complete contents of the published appendices, with dollar amounts included to the nearest dollar. (Published appendices present dollar amounts rounded to the nearest $100.) Appendices I and II list all participating institutions along with average salary by rank and gender; retirement and health insurance benefits as percentage of full-time faculty covered and as a percentage of average salary for those who are covered (eligible); dependent tuition benefits provided; percent tenured, tenure-track, and non-tenure-track; full-time faculty counts; salary equity ratios; average salary by rank adjusted for regional price parities; and notes. Appendix III is an Excel data file that provides data on part-time faculty pay and benefits. An "Enhanced 1 and 2" worksheet was added in 2020-21 and is described below.
Enhanced Appendices I and II: A new worksheet was added to the MS-Excel dataset file beginning in 2020-21. This worksheet is named "Enhanced 1 and 2" and includes all of the data from appendices I and II (combined) along with additional variables to facilitate comparative analyses. The variables incorporated from IPEDS data include:
- CALSYS (Calendar system)
- CBSA (Core Based Statistical Area)
- CC18BASIC (Carnegie Classification 2018: Basic)
- F1SYSNAM (Name of multi-institution or multi-campus organization)
- INSTSIZE (Institution size category)
- MEDICAL (Institution grants a medical degree)
- MSA (Metropolitan Statistical Area)
- OBEREG [Bureau of Economic Analysis (BEA) regions], and
- SECTOR (Sector of institution).
Variables derived by AAUP that have been incorporated include:
- RPP (Regional Price Parity), and
- A series of variables denoting special institution types (AAU, HBCU, PBI, ANNHI, TRIBAL, AANAPII, HSI, NANTI, and MSI).
Benefits Report: This Excel spreadsheet provides each institution’s average benefit as expenditure ($) and percent average salary (%) by contract length. This is in wide format (i.e. every institution is a separate row with each column being a benefit and contract length) and not differentiated by AAUP Category. See here for the full variable listing.
Faculty Distribution Report: This Excel spreadsheet is percent of non-tenure track faculty by rank for reporting institutions. This is in wide format and not differentiated by AAUP Category. See here for a full variable listing.
FCS Results Portal Access: The research portal allows users to create custom peer comparison reports and more (see here). This option is only available for institutions that have submitted data for the 2022-23 academic year.
Prior Years' Data
If you’d like to purchase data products for a previous year (2015-16 through 2021-22), the cost is $1000 for each year. FCS Results Portal access is available for years 2015-16 through the current year. Only the Excel spreadsheets (Appendix I and II) data can be provided for prior years (going back to 1996-97) and these are $250 per item.